Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Call me Ishmael


Image: original.britannica.com

Sick at home and reading Moby Dick which, needless to say, is no facile task! My sister recommended it, and as we enjoy a similar taste in books, I had to order it too. Stories about land or sea quests and expeditions, the hardships involved and relations among the crew etc. hold a strange fascination for me, and Melville's opus is no exception. Though not a work of entertainment, there are some wonderfully farcical bits strewn amid the more heavy-going chapters - the sailor cum priest's six page sermon on Jonah and his whale at the beginning being the point where I knew I was going to get through this tome, come what may...


amazon.de

3 comments:

Sharon Rose said...

Wish you better and happy reading too!

R.M. said...

I have never read Moby Dick, I think I attempted it in middle school, realized it was a bit too heavy for me, and opted for Wuthering Heights with all of its old age drama. *hehe*

Kelly said...

Kudos to you! I haven't read Moby Dick since high school. While I appreciated it's place in literary history, I always found it too laborious. I'd love to hear the reflections of someone who enjoyed it, though!