Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Lonely, or Just Alone?


Photo: tate.org.uk

Edward Hopper is currently being shown in an exhibition called "Western Motel" at the Kunsthalle in Vienna. Several of his paintings and many drawings/sketches are on display, along with works by various contemporary artists influenced by his work. I was really looking forward to going but ended up disappointed by much of the newer material, of which there was more than by Hopper himself. I liked the videos but was appalled by the installations recreating Hopper's painting settings. At the risk of sounding like a philistine: they were so badly executed, at least visitors should have been allowed to sit in the life-size one and be photographed! Alas, I couldn't find any postcards in the museum shop either.

Has anyone else seen this show yet? What did you think?

2 comments:

Kulpreet said...

I like Edward Hopper though I haven't seen the show you have mentioned. Some of the watercolor works are splendid indeed as are his oil ones.

I also took the liberty of scrolling down on your blog and must record here that you have an awesome sense of dressing. And are a good - and perhaps a very lucky - shopper too. Cheers!

Sharon Rose said...

Hi there-sorry, haven't seen his work before. I do like the picture you've posted.